TCA TEXAS Young Masters
The Texas Commission on the Arts is offering $10,000 awards ($5,000 per year for two years) to the state’s most talented 8-11 grade artists and performers. Applications are being accepted in areas of visual arts, literary arts, music, theater, dance, musical theater, folk and traditional arts, and media.
- Applications and required supporting materials must be postmarked by November 15, 2017.
- Applications, information and guidelines are available online at http://tinyurl.com/youngmaster.
In order to be considered for the grant, students must be legal U.S. residents living in Texas and participating in a school-based program, a summer institute, or a specialized course of study or receiving private lessons from a qualified professional instructor. They must also maintain passing grades in all academic areas. The Young Masters will be selected by a citizen panel of experts from across the state based on artistic excellence, level of commitment and quality of their proposed plan of study. Disbursement for this class of Young Masters will begin in the spring of 2018. The 2018 Young Masters recipients will be honored at a star-studded event in Austin, Texas in April 2018.
2018 National Festival March 14-17, Indianapolis, IN
Audition to Be Part of the Honor Ensembles at National Festival, presented by Yamaha
This opportunity offers students the chance to be named as one of the nation’s outstanding high school musicians. As part of this National Festival, students perform on a national stage and gain world-class learning and performance opportunities with distinguished conductors, artists and master teachers.
Audition Guidelines: (As of Aug 31, 2017)
- Since this is the only chance for the student to be heard, the quality of the recording should be of utmost consideration. The quality of your recording will affect the evaluators’ ability to review and comment. A high quality audio and video recording is expected.
- Review your recording(s) before you submit to check the sound level and ensure the best audio quality.
- Be aware of the acoustic environment in which you record. Background noise and poor sound quality make your recording difficult to evaluate.
- Only unedited recordings can be accepted, and should be in high fidelity stereo.
- Dress for a performance. This is a professional audition.
- State your name, age and high school at the beginning of your audition recording.
String Audition Requirements:
- Two contrasting (in style and tempo) excerpts of your own choosing, each approximately two minutes in length.
- Students are encouraged to perform an excerpt that showcases technique and range, as well as an excerpt that showcases expressive and lyrical qualities.
• To apply, the student must be a member of his/her school band or orchestra program if the school has a band or orchestra program. Homeschooled students are welcome to apply.
• Applicants must be currently enrolled in high school (American or international equivalent) or a certified program of home study and 19 years of age or younger as of March 11, 2017.
If you have trouble applying and submitting your audition recording online, please call 800.848.2263 for assistance.
Wind and Percussion Players: